Sunday, May 19, 2019

The Story we tell ourselves. Blind Runner.

So, a funny story from our recent family trip to Hawaii.  We started the mornings with a relaxing routine ... some family members ran, relaxed, slept in - before we met up for a Bonsai Acai or Smoothie - stop at Teds Bakery and then over to sit on a concrete pad by the beach and enjoy breakfast.  Loved these moments together as a family.  

I love a vacation with a combination of some relaxation and some planned adventures!  As a woman who is blind, I love some routine and familiarity, too.  The running trail had some bumps -- some rather large unexpected ones.  Steve and I chatted about what was our best communication plan after a bit of a twisted ankle.  321 big bump ... little bump - we chatted away.  I thought to myself, I love love how we problem solve and are creative!  Whether it is running along a trail in Hawaii or something else ... it works!  Find a way!  

So, this last beautiful morning, we had  gone out for a run.  After my knee surgery, I'm still getting back into running!  We did some stints of walking, too.  We ran past the crossing guard (picture below) and then turned around and were running back.  On our way back Steve high fives a lady -- with my peephole of fuzzy vision I could see she was in maybe a grey tank.  Here is the funny party -- in my mind I think Steve is really friendly to her - must have been a lady we passed on the way going the other direction and this lady must have been friendly too.  Cheering each other on in running is pretty common.  I love the camaraderie of runners.  He mentioned after we had run by -- she was in her zone.  It still didn't click until we were further past when he said Natalie was in in her zone.  What I said - that was Natalie (our daughter) we ran by!  Yes, she seemed to be running in her zone -- didn't want to disturb her too much so I just high fives her.  We get back to the Air BnB we were staying with and I said Natalie I'm sorry I wasn't more friendly - I didn't realize it was you!!!  She said -- yeah, I had started running and planned to run to you -- but I ran there and you guys weren't too friendly so I kept running.

We laughed.  So, my story in my head was Steve was really friendly with another runner that we didn't know; Steve's story was Natalie is focused in on her running and so I'll just give her a high five and not disturb her too much.  Natalie meanwhile was wondering why her parents ran past her with simply a high-five.  

Picture One:  Steve and Becky standing in front of the beach in Heleiwa on North Short of Oahu.  Becky is wearing a running vest that says - Blind Runner.


Picture Two:  Becky and the crossing guard.  Fun note:  as we were crossing to go on the hike:  Pillbox; I had my cane.  He asked me some questions about my vision.  Turns out he has a good friend with a sister who has Retinitis Pigmentosa.  Small world!  

Picture Three:  Becky and my daughter Natalie (who I ran past!) smiling with our helmets on at the Zipline.  What an amazing adventure!!  

Happy Sunday!  What story have you told yourself -- that may or may not be true :)?  

What adventure would you like to try?  

No comments:

Post a Comment