Monday, March 20, 2017

Celebrating our Love Story Beginning. RP Journey

Thirty-three years ago, March 21, Steve and I were engaged. When we can, we return to the capital and celebrate this day! I'll be in Portland on the 21st so we enjoyed a beautiful spring evening at the State Capitol today.
From my book, Look up, move forward:
He (Steve) took me to Salt Lake, a little over an hour away, and on the drive he told me the story of his parents' engagement nearly forty years earlier. 
Wade and Kathryn met at a dance at the Waldorf Astoria in New York City, where Kathryn lived for just a few months to study. Wade was a Captain in World War II, a bomber pilot who flew out the morning after they met. They wrote letters for nine months and fell in love.
After his service, Wade flew to Salt Lake and asked Kathryn where couples got engaged in town. She told him the Capital was the place to go, and he took her to the beautiful classical-style domes and pillared building that sits on a hill overlooking the city. That night in 1945 was the "once upon a time" of the Andrews family.
As Steve and I pulled up to the Capitol building just after dark, the city lights twinkled below us. He wanted to start out life together the same way his parents had begun theirs, and his admiration and respect for them made me love him even more. We climbed the stone steps and he led me to the third pillar.
He lifted me onto the huge stone base and took my hand. "Will you marry me?"
There was only one thing for me to say, "I'd love to."
#RPJourney #BlindMemoir #lookupmoveforward #Ourlovestory

No comments:

Post a Comment