Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Happy Anniversary, Georgie Girl

Three years ago today Georgina and I graduated from Guide Dogs for the Blind.  Georgina aka Georgie Girl and Gigi has taught me so much.  I am so very grateful for this sweet, playful, intelligent, joyful, loving, so smart, silly dog.

Some of my reflections on this day:

Leaving for class came at a time for our family where there was a lot going on in both our personal and professional lives.  Leaving for two weeks was difficult although necessary.

One of the sweet memories prior to leaving was my dear friend and colleague at the time, Melanie asked everyone at Resilient Solutions, Inc to write notes on 'why they love Becky'.  Arriving at the office to these notes and having her read them to me meant the world to me.  I treasure them to this day.  They all started with Becky is ...

Last week in our Rising Strong TM course we wrote an 'I am' poem about ourselves.  I have written one for Georgie.

I am
I am Georgina.  I am Georgie Girl.  I am Gigi. 

I am a happy guide dog from Guide Dogs for the Blind.  I am intelligent.  I am playful.  I am a doer.  I am sweet.  I am caring.  I am sensitive.  I am forgiving.  I am loving.  I am stubborn at times.  I am kind.  I am a frequent flyer.  I am an adventurer.  I am enduring.  I am a snuggler.  I am so playful.   I am an early riser and early to bed.  I am serving.  I am loving.  I am silly.  I am a hiker.  I am a cheerleader.  I am a light for one who cannot see.  I am a smiler and a tail wagger.

I am Georgina.  I am Georgie Girl.  I am Gigi.

Georgie you are my beautiful partner that adds laughter to my heart, gives me determination, blesses me with confidence, and makes me proud each day.  You are my beautiful guide dog that allows me to pick up the harness and GO.

I love, love sharing my life with you Georgie Girl.  Can't wait for many more years of adventures with you.  Whether it is a simple day of travelling to the office or a day of adventure of new places to discover you take it all in and give me your best.  I love when Steve drops us off at the airport and looks you in the eyes and tells you  Take good care of Becky.  You listen to him so intently while wagging your whole body.  And then, you do just that time and time again.

Happy Anniversary Georgina.  Hey there Georgie Girl, thanks for swinging down the streets so
fancy free with your tail happily wagging.

As I am each day, I am so very grateful for Guide Dogs for the Blind, - the incredible support we receive as a team, Georgie's puppy raisers and all the incredible raisers for each of my guides and all the guide dog teams,  It is such a remarkable community that creates and supports a guide dog team.

So grateful.  So blessed.  Selecting a guide dog almost 20 years ago was one of the best decisions in this journey that I have made.  Love you Pantera, Cricket and Georgie.  Thank you.
Thank you to Rick Egan of SL Tribune for this picture
You can watch the full clip here at:
I love living an active life

No comments:

Post a Comment